The Passover of the Jews
stephen
2017-04-05 16:20:18 UTC
Three times the Bible refers to Passover as the Passover of the Jews.

John 2:13, John 6:4, John 11:55.

The Apostle John, in John 6:4, explains it to his readers:

John 6:4 (KJV) – And the passover, a feast of the Jews, was nigh.

Language like that would not make sense in a community of Passover
observers, especially a Passover that resembled the Jewish one. That
doesn’t sound at all like he, his readers, or his community kept it.

Nor do I. I am not a Jew. I am a Christian.

Christians, as I have shown, properly celebrate Sunday, as a little
Easter every week, and an annual Easter every year. Very early on in the
Christian world, however, two different customs developed.

Custom 1 – Jesus rose from the dead on the Sunday during Passover, so
most Christians celebrated Jesus’ death and resurrection on the Friday
to Sunday during Passover. They called it Pascha.

Custom 2 – Jesus died on 14 Nisan at the time of the Passover lambs, so
some Christians celebrated Jesus’ death on 14 Nisan and his resurrection
on 16 Nisan, the third day. They too called it Pascha. Because it used
14 Nisan to find its date, it was called Quartodecimanism.

For a while, these two customs lived in harmony, to some extent.

Around 160 AD, St Polycarp, one of the Apostle John’s disciples, and one
who followed Quartodecimanism, met with St Anicetus, bishop of Rome, who
didn’t, and discussed their different practices. They departed unable to
convince each other to change, but happy to keep their respective
practices and respect each other’s. Nobody claimed back then that the
Jewish calendar was important – they respected each other’s legitimate
practices. (Much like modern Catholics, who celebrate Pascha at
different times – most with the Western date, but some, with the
go-ahead from Rome, with the Orthodox. In fact, all of Israeli Catholics
– Latin rite and Eastern rite – celebrate Pascha on the Orthodox date
from 2015.) Eventually the Quartodeciman controversy unfortunately
became less civil, and the minority Quartodeciman practice died out.

Nowhere do we see Christians keeping the Passover of the Jews. Both
groups kept a derivative of Passover, a Christianised version, that
looked back on the new creation instead of the old, the true Lamb
instead of the symbolic animal, the new Exodus instead of the old, as a
memorial of our salvation from sin instead of Israel’s salvation from Egypt.

Why keep the Passover of the Jews when the Pascha of the Christians is
so much better? The Jewish Passover prepared us for Christ, and ended
with him, as did the sabbath and the rest of the Mosaic law.

Further reading:
Is Easter Pagan? - http://blog.theotokos.co.za/?p=2385
Is Easter Christian? A reply to Samuele Bacchiocchi -
http://blog.theotokos.co.za/?p=2392
Why Sunday is an improvement on the sabbath -
http://blog.theotokos.co.za/?p=4024
--
blog: http://blog.theotokos.co.za/
ebook: https://www.facebook.com/DiscussingAdventismBook/
Robert
2017-04-05 16:47:56 UTC
Post by stephen
Three times the Bible refers to Passover as the Passover of the Jews.
Don't know whose bible you are reading, but I count 71 verses with the
word used 76 times.
stephen
2017-04-05 20:12:25 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Three times the Bible refers to Passover as the Passover of the Jews.
Don't know whose bible you are reading, but I count 71 verses with the
word used 76 times.
KJV. I listed all three verses. Can you add any more? Citing just one
or two will help, if there are any.
Robert
2017-04-06 01:41:46 UTC
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Three times the Bible refers to Passover as the Passover of the Jews.
Don't know whose bible you are reading, but I count 71 verses with the
word used 76 times.
KJV. I listed all three verses. Can you add any more? Citing just one
or two will help, if there are any.
Exo_12:11  And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girded, your
shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it
in haste: it is the LORD'S passover.
Exo_12:21  Then Moses called for all the elders of Israel, and said
unto them, Draw out and take you a lamb according to your families,
and kill the passover.
Exo_12:27  That ye shall say, It is the sacrifice of the LORD'S
passover, who passed over the houses of the children of Israel in
Egypt, when he smote the Egyptians, and delivered our houses. And the
people bowed the head and worshipped.

Joh_2:13  And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to
Jerusalem,
Joh_2:23  Now when he was in Jerusalem at the
passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw
the miracles which he did.
Joh_6:4  And the passover, a feast of the Jews, was nigh.
Joh_11:55  And the Jews' passover was nigh at hand: and many went out
of the country up to Jerusalem before the passover, to purify
themselves.
stephen
2017-04-06 07:25:47 UTC
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Three times the Bible refers to Passover as the Passover of the Jews.
Don't know whose bible you are reading, but I count 71 verses with the
word used 76 times.
KJV. I listed all three verses. Can you add any more? Citing just one
or two will help, if there are any.
Exo_12:11 And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girded, your
shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it
in haste: it is the LORD'S passover.
That doesn't count. It doesn't call the passover the passover of the Jews.
[...]
Those are the ones I cited.

Your three additions do, I agree, mention Israel.
Robert
2017-04-06 16:16:53 UTC
Post by stephen
Exo_12:11 And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girded, your
shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it
in haste: it is the LORD'S passover.
That doesn't count. It doesn't call the passover the passover of the Jews.
A pretty ludicrous statement for someone that calls themselves
christian. Why?

The passover of the Jews first occurred in Egypt when God killed the
firstborn of everything in Egypt, except for the Israelites, who later
became to be known as Jews because of Judaism.

The whole world at that time knew of the events as it was mouthed
about everywhere. It was celebrated by the Jews that believed even
while in captivity, so all their captors knew about it. To try and
belittle the passover to some non-important rite is to also knock the
communion for the believer.

Jesus is the Lamb of God sacrificed for the sin of all mankind, the
price of sin was bought and paid for by the blood of Jesus. Whether or
not a man accepts it is their responsibility and theirs alone. The
Lamb that was slain for the individual Israelite families in Egypt at
the time was a symbol of their deliverer to come, Jesus Christ.

So to pretend that somehow the passover is not necessarily related to
the Jew is totally absurd.
stephen
2017-04-06 18:07:23 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Exo_12:11 And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girded, your
shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it
in haste: it is the LORD'S passover.
That doesn't count. It doesn't call the passover the passover of the Jews.
A pretty ludicrous statement for someone that calls themselves
christian. Why?
You said there were more than 3 verses that called it the passover of
Post by Robert
Don't know whose bible you are reading, but I count 71 verses with the
word used 76 times.
71 verses. I still only count three.
Robert
2017-04-06 18:45:12 UTC
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Don't know whose bible you are reading, but I count 71 verses with the
word used 76 times.
71 verses. I still only count three.
Anytime the bible refers to the passover, it is always referring to
the passover of the Jews.
stephen
2017-04-06 19:12:49 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Don't know whose bible you are reading, but I count 71 verses with the
word used 76 times.
71 verses. I still only count three.
Anytime the bible refers to the passover, it is always referring to
the passover of the Jews.
And not the passover of Christians.
Robert
There never was a Passover of Christians.
stephen
2017-04-06 23:05:05 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Don't know whose bible you are reading, but I count 71 verses with the
word used 76 times.
71 verses. I still only count three.
Anytime the bible refers to the passover, it is always referring to
the passover of the Jews.
And not the passover of Christians.
There never was a Passover of Christians.
Christians celebrate Easter.
Robert
That is not passover someone is woofing you.
stephen
2017-04-07 07:15:53 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Don't know whose bible you are reading, but I count 71 verses with the
word used 76 times.
71 verses. I still only count three.
Anytime the bible refers to the passover, it is always referring to
the passover of the Jews.
And not the passover of Christians.
There never was a Passover of Christians.
Christians celebrate Easter.
That is not passover someone is woofing you.
Christians are not pseudo-Jews.
duke
2017-04-07 11:53:25 UTC
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Don't know whose bible you are reading, but I count 71 verses with the
word used 76 times.
71 verses. I still only count three.
Anytime the bible refers to the passover, it is always referring to
the passover of the Jews.
And not the passover of Christians.
There never was a Passover of Christians.
Christians celebrate Easter.
That is not passover someone is woofing you.
Christians are not pseudo-Jews.
I keep getting the impression that ADrobert can't escape his Jewish roots.

the dukester, American-American

*****
Pope Paul VI
*****
humban
2017-04-06 11:06:27 UTC
On Wed, 05 Apr 2017 09:47:56 -0700, Robert says many things, not always in
error. Just generally.
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Three times the Bible refers to Passover as the Passover of the Jews.
Don't know whose bible you are reading, but I count 71 verses with the
word used 76 times.
& which one is that, your personal autographed by god, his non-existent
son, & spooky?

** *

"And God said, Let US make man in OUR image,
after OUR likeness"
Genesis 1:26

"For the Lord is the great God,
the great King above all gods."
(Ps 95:3)

"For you, Lord, are the Most High over
all the earth; you are exalted far above
all gods."
(Ps 97:9)

"All the gods bow down before the Lord"
(Ps. 97:7).

"I know the Lord is great, and our Lord
is superior to all gods." (Ps. 135:5)

But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common
humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?

Mark Twain
Robert
2017-04-05 16:55:48 UTC
John 6:4 (KJV) – And the passover, a feast of the Jews, was nigh.
Language like that would not make sense in a community of Passover
observers, especially a Passover that resembled the Jewish one. That
doesn’t sound at all like he, his readers, or his community kept it.
Nor do I. I am not a Jew. I am a Christian.
There were no Christians during the events of the Gospel Books. Only
Jews, and gentiles.

The passover was celebrated by the Jews until 70 A.D. Jesus kept the
Passover. All Jews by commandment did so.

What qualifies you as a "Christian"?
duke
2017-04-06 11:37:29 UTC
Post by Robert
John 6:4 (KJV) – And the passover, a feast of the Jews, was nigh.
Language like that would not make sense in a community of Passover
observers, especially a Passover that resembled the Jewish one. That
doesn’t sound at all like he, his readers, or his community kept it.
Nor do I. I am not a Jew. I am a Christian.
There were no Christians during the events of the Gospel Books. Only
Jews, and gentiles.
The passover was celebrated by the Jews until 70 A.D. Jesus kept the
Passover. All Jews by commandment did so.
Jesus walked into a Seder in 33AD, walked out having originated the
Christian Mass, and to his cross the next day.

One must always wonder what ADrobert's mistake is daily.
Post by Robert
What qualifies you as a "Christian"?
Baptism.

*****
pyotr filipivich
2017-04-05 17:01:43 UTC
Post by stephen
Three times the Bible refers to Passover as the Passover of the Jews.
Well, who else has a Passover?

You do realize that not everyone reading St John the Evangelist
and Theologian's book were fully aware of the minutia of Jewish
practice, yes?
--
pyotr
After the war two Army Chaplains were mustering out. The one said to
You in your way, and I in His."
stephen
2017-04-05 20:12:36 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by stephen
Three times the Bible refers to Passover as the Passover of the Jews.
Well, who else has a Passover?
Only the Jews.
Post by pyotr filipivich
You do realize that not everyone reading St John the Evangelist
and Theologian's book were fully aware of the minutia of Jewish
practice, yes?
I do. If he was writing for a Christian audience, his Gentile Christian
readers may not have been aware of the Jewish passover. If he was
writing for a non-Christian audience, he attributes celebration of the
passover to the Jews.
Robert
2017-04-06 01:52:53 UTC
Post by stephen
Post by pyotr filipivich
You do realize that not everyone reading St John the Evangelist
and Theologian's book were fully aware of the minutia of Jewish
practice, yes?
I do. If he was writing for a Christian audience, his Gentile Christian
readers may not have been aware of the Jewish passover. If he was
writing for a non-Christian audience, he attributes celebration of the
passover to the Jews.
John was writing as God through his spirit inspired him.

He was not focused on any group, he was testifying as a witness to the
Risen Lord. He was an eye witness to the events.
stephen
2017-04-06 07:25:41 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by pyotr filipivich
You do realize that not everyone reading St John the Evangelist
and Theologian's book were fully aware of the minutia of Jewish
practice, yes?
I do. If he was writing for a Christian audience, his Gentile Christian
readers may not have been aware of the Jewish passover. If he was
writing for a non-Christian audience, he attributes celebration of the
passover to the Jews.
John was writing as God through his spirit inspired him.
Agreed.
Post by Robert
He was not focused on any group,
Everyone writes with their readers in mind.
Robert
2017-04-06 17:16:30 UTC
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by pyotr filipivich
You do realize that not everyone reading St John the Evangelist
and Theologian's book were fully aware of the minutia of Jewish
practice, yes?
I do. If he was writing for a Christian audience, his Gentile Christian
readers may not have been aware of the Jewish passover. If he was
writing for a non-Christian audience, he attributes celebration of the
passover to the Jews.
John was writing as God through his spirit inspired him.
Agreed.
In the day that the book was written, all knew of the passover of the
Jew.
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
He was not focused on any group,
Everyone writes with their readers in mind.
God was the author, by inspiration of his spirit, as Jesus promised he
would do.

There are no NT biblically established focus groups, written to one,
written to all, excluding the things solely pertaining to the Jews in
the Old Testament. NT says no difference between Jew or Gentile, all
are lost. All can be saved, but not all will accept it.
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
he was testifying as a witness to the
Risen Lord. He was an eye witness to the events.
Agreed.
Then you would know that was the purpose of his writing. To bring
honor and glory to God.
stephen
2017-04-06 18:07:18 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by pyotr filipivich
You do realize that not everyone reading St John the Evangelist
and Theologian's book were fully aware of the minutia of Jewish
practice, yes?
I do. If he was writing for a Christian audience, his Gentile Christian
readers may not have been aware of the Jewish passover. If he was
writing for a non-Christian audience, he attributes celebration of the
passover to the Jews.
John was writing as God through his spirit inspired him.
Agreed.
In the day that the book was written, all knew of the passover of the
Jew.
If that were true, John wouldn't be explaining it to his readers. His
readers were not passover-keepers.

I am a Christian. Not a Jew. Not a pseudo-Jew.
Robert
2017-04-06 19:10:34 UTC
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by pyotr filipivich
You do realize that not everyone reading St John the Evangelist
and Theologian's book were fully aware of the minutia of Jewish
practice, yes?
I do. If he was writing for a Christian audience, his Gentile Christian
readers may not have been aware of the Jewish passover. If he was
writing for a non-Christian audience, he attributes celebration of the
passover to the Jews.
John was writing as God through his spirit inspired him.
Agreed.
In the day that the book was written, all knew of the passover of the
Jew.
If that were true, John wouldn't be explaining it to his readers. His
readers were not passover-keepers.
The apostles all went to the Jew first as ordained of the Lord. Then
to the Gentile. The events of the Gospels were 100% Jewish. It wasn't
until the book of acts after Christ was resurrected that Gentiles came
into play.
Post by stephen
I am a Christian. Not a Jew. Not a pseudo-Jew.
on what basis do you call yourself a christian?

You might have good intentions but you know even less than I.
stephen
2017-04-06 19:23:41 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by pyotr filipivich
[...]
They weren't keepers of the Jewish passover either.
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
I am a Christian. Not a Jew. Not a pseudo-Jew.
on what basis do you call yourself a christian?
On the basis that I am a faithful baptised Catholic who does his best to
serve God.
Post by Robert
You might have good intentions but you know even less than I.
That doesn't seem to be the case.
Robert
2017-04-06 23:04:31 UTC
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by pyotr filipivich
[...]
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
I am a Christian. Not a Jew. Not a pseudo-Jew.
on what basis do you call yourself a christian?
On the basis that I am a faithful baptised Catholic who does his best to
serve God.
Then that makes you a Catholic, not necessarily a Christian. I assume
a Roman Catholic to boot?
Sorry, I might have been mistaken about your intentions.
stephen
2017-04-06 23:20:04 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by pyotr filipivich
[...]
That's the topic of discussion. Or are you just blathering on?
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
I am a Christian. Not a Jew. Not a pseudo-Jew.
on what basis do you call yourself a christian?
On the basis that I am a faithful baptised Catholic who does his best to
serve God.
Then that makes you a Catholic, not necessarily a Christian. I assume
a Roman Catholic to boot?
Catholics are the original Christians.
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
You might have good intentions but you know even less than I.
That doesn't seem to be the case.
Sorry, I might have been mistaken about your intentions.
No, you were mistaken about your knowledge.
Robert
2017-04-07 00:18:31 UTC
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by pyotr filipivich
[...]
Hardly, since Christians and the passover were never co-mingled.
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
I am a Christian. Not a Jew. Not a pseudo-Jew.
on what basis do you call yourself a christian?
On the basis that I am a faithful baptised Catholic who does his best to
serve God.
Then that makes you a Catholic, not necessarily a Christian. I assume
a Roman Catholic to boot?
Catholics are the original Christians.
The heathen first called the believers "Christian" in Antioch. The
Roman Catholics started up in the 4th century.
Post by stephen
Oh goodie, a spitting contest coming right up. LOL
stephen
2017-04-07 07:15:45 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by pyotr filipivich
[...]
Blathering, clearly.
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
You might have good intentions but you know even less than I.
That doesn't seem to be the case.
Sorry, I might have been mistaken about your intentions.
No, you were mistaken about your knowledge.
Oh goodie, a spitting contest coming right up. LOL
Looks like you're quite good at it on usenet. So don't blame me.
Robert
2017-04-07 07:32:36 UTC
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by pyotr filipivich
[...]
That is the best you can do? You cannot back up your assertions?

Seems like you have exhausted yourself and have nothing left to say.
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by stephen
Whooshed right over your head.
OSOD
2017-04-09 01:00:14 UTC
On Fri, 07 Apr 2017 00:32:36 -0700, Robert wasted only 93 lines to pretend
to play leader of a conversation he doesn't understand. & a fione job he
did.
snip
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Hardly, since Christians and the passover were never co-mingled.
Blathering, clearly.
That is the best you can do? You cannot back up your assertions?
What, you were blathering, so what more does he need to say?
Post by Robert
Seems like you have exhausted yourself and have nothing left to say.
No, that would be you. Maybe not exhausted, but nothing to say does a good
job of describing you.

snip
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Oh goodie, a spitting contest coming right up. LOL
Looks like you're quite good at it on usenet. So don't blame me.
Whooshed right over your head.
Yes, it did go over your head. To bad you can't even get that right.

-- --
Matthew 7:7-11

"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it
will be opened to you. "For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks
finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. "Or what man is there among
you who, when his son asks for a loaf, will give him a stone? read more.
"Or if he asks for a fish, he will not give him a snake, will he? "If you
then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much
more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask
Him!

Matthew 21:22

"And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive."

John 15:7

"If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and
it will be done for you."

duke
2017-04-07 12:00:17 UTC
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by pyotr filipivich
[...]
He constantly digs his hole deeper.
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
I am a Christian. Not a Jew. Not a pseudo-Jew.
on what basis do you call yourself a christian?
On the basis that I am a faithful baptised Catholic who does his best to
serve God.
Then that makes you a Catholic, not necessarily a Christian. I assume
a Roman Catholic to boot?
Catholics are the original Christians.
Ohhhhhh, he really hates to hear that.
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
You might have good intentions but you know even less than I.
That doesn't seem to be the case.
Sorry, I might have been mistaken about your intentions.
No, you were mistaken about your knowledge.
How many times have I been telling him that.

*****
stephen
2017-04-07 13:00:37 UTC
Post by duke
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
You might have good intentions but you know even less than I.
That doesn't seem to be the case.
Sorry, I might have been mistaken about your intentions.
No, you were mistaken about your knowledge.
How many times have I been telling him that.
Sometimes it makes no difference. Sometimes it does. For the people
for whom it makes a difference, it's worth it.
Robert
2017-04-07 16:31:10 UTC
Post by stephen
Post by duke
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
You might have good intentions but you know even less than I.
That doesn't seem to be the case.
Sorry, I might have been mistaken about your intentions.
No, you were mistaken about your knowledge.
How many times have I been telling him that.
Sometimes it makes no difference. Sometimes it does. For the people
for whom it makes a difference, it's worth it.
Any Bozo can claim that, only a fool accepts bragging on its own
merits.

Seems that every RC here likes to say what you did, when the evidence
of their knowledge of the Bible is very poor. Go figure.
duke
2017-04-08 11:43:25 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by duke
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
You might have good intentions but you know even less than I.
That doesn't seem to be the case.
Sorry, I might have been mistaken about your intentions.
No, you were mistaken about your knowledge.
How many times have I been telling him that.
Sometimes it makes no difference. Sometimes it does. For the people
for whom it makes a difference, it's worth it.
Any Bozo can claim that, only a fool accepts bragging on its own
merits.
Seems that every RC here likes to say what you did, when the evidence
of their knowledge of the Bible is very poor. Go figure.
You're one of the weakest.

*****
duke

*****
humban
honor and glory to God.
humban
2017-04-08 13:15:58 UTC
snip
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
I do. If he was writing for a Christian audience, his Gentile Christian
readers may not have been aware of the Jewish passover. If he was
writing for a non-Christian audience, he attributes celebration of the
passover to the Jews.
John was writing as God through his spirit inspired him.
Agreed.
In the day that the book was written, all knew of the passover of the
Jew.
They did, the native population of the america's knew that? I don't
believe you & that is a lie.
Verb: lie[2] (lied,lying,lies)
1. Tell an untruth; pretend with intent to deceive

Noun: Lie
1. Norwegian diplomat who was the first Secretary General of the United
Nations (1896-1968)

Verb: lie (lay,lain,lying,lies)
1. Be located or situated somewhere; occupy a certain position
2. Be lying, be prostrate; be in a horizontal position
3. Originate (in)
4. Be and remain in a particular state or condition
5. Have a place in relation to something else
6. Assume a reclining position

Noun: lie
1. A statement that deviates from or perverts the truth
2. Position or manner in which something is situated

[WordWeb.info]
can mean
consist
dwell
lay
lie down
lie in
prevarication
rest
Trygve Halvden Lie
Trygve Lie

Not sure if there is a category for lying because of arrogance.
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
He was not focused on any group,
Everyone writes with their readers in mind.
God was the author, by inspiration of his spirit, as Jesus promised he
would do.
Evidence. Oh right, you don't have any & could care less. It's what you
want to believe. As to promises, well what can you expect from fictional
characters.
This?
Matthew 7:7-11

"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it
will be opened to you. "For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks
finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. "Or what man is there among
you who, when his son asks for a loaf, will give him a stone? read more.
"Or if he asks for a fish, he will not give him a snake, will he? "If you
then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much
more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask
Him!
Matthew 21:22
"And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive."
John 15:7
"If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and
it will be done for you."
No maybe, if, unless, or it's inconvenient.
Post by Robert
There are no NT biblically established focus groups, written to one,
That's clerical. & based on a claim by a known liar, saul. Something
about so what if he lied if it brought you to his gods.
Post by Robert
written to all, excluding the things solely pertaining to the Jews in
the Old Testament. NT says no difference between Jew or Gentile, all
But there were & are. Evolution you know. Or do you?
Post by Robert
are lost. All can be saved, but not all will accept it.
That's the claim, but who would want to be in the presence of a murderer
for eternity. Won't matter though, in spite of the church & revelation,
you stand around singing praises to god. You will be more like you are
today, brain dead. In self defense.
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
he was testifying as a witness to the
Risen Lord. He was an eye witness to the events.
Agreed.
Then you would know that was the purpose of his writing. To bring
honor and glory to God.
It's odd how people make their gods in their own images with the same wants
they have. Not really.

it will be done for you."
Robert
2017-04-05 19:12:41 UTC
Post by stephen
Christians, as I have shown, properly celebrate Sunday, as a little
Easter every week, and an annual Easter every year. Very early on in the
Christian world, however, two different customs developed.
Custom 1 – Jesus rose from the dead on the Sunday during Passover, so
most Christians celebrated Jesus’ death and resurrection on the Friday
to Sunday during Passover. They called it Pascha.
Custom 2 – Jesus died on 14 Nisan at the time of the Passover lambs, so
some Christians celebrated Jesus’ death on 14 Nisan and his resurrection
on 16 Nisan, the third day. They too called it Pascha. Because it used
14 Nisan to find its date, it was called Quartodecimanism.
The 15th day of the month of Nisan is the beginning of Passover. Which
is 7 days observed. The first day is a day of no work, and so is the
7th Day a day of no work. Work can be done on any of the remaining
days.

John’s Gospel asserts Jesus was crucified on Nisan 14, the
preparation day of the Passover. As you were shown by another.

So at this point you don't seem to be doing so well with your stories.

Perhaps you can start over?
stephen
2017-04-05 20:15:57 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
[...]
I fully agree.
Post by Robert
John’s Gospel asserts Jesus was crucified on Nisan 14, the
preparation day of the Passover. As you were shown by another.
I fully agree. The Friday before passover.

Days of the week:

First day
Second day
Third day
Fourth day
Fifth day
Preparation day
Sabbath

At the time of Jesus' death/resurrection:

First day
Second day
Third day
Fourth day
Fifth day
Preparation day (aka Friday) = 14 Nisan
Sabbath = 15 Nisan
First day = 16 Nisan, wave sheaf offering, resurrection of Jesus

Anything else is to make up new meanings for words to suit your own
theology. Just an excuse for itching ears to hear all sorts of false
doctrine.
Post by Robert
So at this point you don't seem to be doing so well with your stories.
Perhaps you can start over?
It's going just fine. I don't have to convince you. I convince and
help others.
Rod
2017-04-05 20:31:23 UTC
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
So at this point you don't seem to be doing so well with your stories.
Perhaps you can start over?
It's going just fine. I don't have to convince you. I convince and
help others.
Very good answer.
--
THE 10 COMMANDMENTS

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments
posted in a courthouse is this -- you cannot post 'Thou
Shalt Not Steal' 'Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery' and
'Thou Shall Not Lie' in a building full of lawyers, judges
and politicians ... it creates a hostile work environment.
stephen
2017-04-06 07:25:22 UTC
Post by Rod
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
So at this point you don't seem to be doing so well with your stories.
Perhaps you can start over?
It's going just fine. I don't have to convince you. I convince and
help others.
Very good answer.
Thanks :-) And very good sig.
Robert
2017-04-06 01:39:12 UTC
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
John’s Gospel asserts Jesus was crucified on Nisan 14, the
preparation day of the Passover. As you were shown by another.
I fully agree. The Friday before passover.
Then you do not agree and why say that you do? Are you intentionally
trying to deceive people who read you?

Here you said otherwise.
You said, and I quote;
"Jesus was crucified on the preparation day. That only ever meant
Friday amongst the Jews. There was no day called "preparation day"
associated with the Passover."
*********************************
What I said very clearly was that he was killed on the day of
preparation for the Passover. Which what not the day of preparation
for the Saturday Sabbath. The day of preparation for the Saturday
Sabbath normally falls on Friday, but in this case, Friday was the
first Sabbath day of the passover.

Joh 19:14  And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the
sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!
Post by Robert
So at this point you don't seem to be doing so well with your stories.
Perhaps you can start over?
It's going just fine. I don't have to convince you. I convince and
help others.
AYUP!, Just like the other Catholics here who also lie, deceive, and
act all innocent.

You did not "fully Agree" with me here on anything, sure you said it
but then you distorted it by throwing in your disclaimers which did
not fit, but those who wanted to have their ears tickled bought into
it.

How can we determine just how far you will go to modify the truth and
stretch our your lies?

One can only hope that your boot lickers will open their eyes and ears
unto God and his word.
stephen
2017-04-06 07:25:35 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
[...]
Interpreting the phrase in the context of the language used and the Old
Testament, there was no special day called the preparation of the
passover, and when the word for the 6th day of the week is used in
association with passover, it can only mean the 6th day of the week
attached to that passover.
Post by Robert
So at this point you don't seem to be doing so well with your stories.
Perhaps you can start over?
It's going just fine. I don't have to convince you. I convince and
help others.
AYUP!, Just like the other Catholics here who also lie, deceive, and
act all innocent.
You did not "fully Agree" with me here on anything, sure you said it
but then you distorted it by throwing in your disclaimers which did
not fit, but those who wanted to have their ears tickled bought into
it.
How can we determine just how far you will go to modify the truth and
stretch our your lies?
One can only hope that your boot lickers will open their eyes and ears
unto God and his word.
No intelligent arguments from you there.
Robert
2017-04-06 17:05:09 UTC
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
[...]
Totally incorrect. The feast of the passover is 7 days in length, the
first day is a Sabbath day and the last day is a Sabbath day.
No work is to be done on either Sabbath day which is why the day
before it is called a day of preparation. Even Herod knew that in
Jesus' time.

The days in between they were only to eat unleavened bread, no
leavening agent was permitted to be in the home or bread. So the sixth
day of passover was not like just any other day even if they were
allowed to work, which they were.

Now, if you are new to the bible, a recent convert to Jesus Christ,
then your mistakes would be understandable, but you do not portray
yourself as such.
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
So at this point you don't seem to be doing so well with your stories.
Perhaps you can start over?
It's going just fine. I don't have to convince you. I convince and
help others.
AYUP!, Just like the other Catholics here who also lie, deceive, and
act all innocent.
You did not "fully Agree" with me here on anything, sure you said it
but then you distorted it by throwing in your disclaimers which did
not fit, but those who wanted to have their ears tickled bought into
it.
How can we determine just how far you will go to modify the truth and
stretch our your lies?
One can only hope that your boot lickers will open their eyes and ears
unto God and his word.
No intelligent arguments from you there.
There was nothing to argue, you are a deceiver, a liar. It seems to be
a common trait for the RC's who post here. Feel free to show me wrong.

The word of God says let your yea's be yea and your no's be no. No
gray area. It is not a shame to correct ones self and admit error.
stephen
2017-04-06 18:06:59 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
[...]
Totally correct.

Days of the average week:

First day
Second day
Third day
Fourth day
Fifth day
Preparation day
Sabbath

Preparation day was a synonym for Friday.

The Friday associated with the passover certainly wasn't a Thursday.
Not that year, not any year.
Post by Robert
The feast of the passover is 7 days in length, the
first day is a Sabbath day and the last day is a Sabbath day.
No work is to be done on either Sabbath day which is why the day
before it is called a day of preparation. Even Herod knew that in
Jesus' time.
You're making that all up. Herod's knowledge of the names of the days
of the week is not in recorded history.
Post by Robert
The days in between they were only to eat unleavened bread, no
leavening agent was permitted to be in the home or bread. So the sixth
day of passover was not like just any other day even if they were
allowed to work, which they were.
At least you got that bit right.
Post by Robert
Now, if you are new to the bible, a recent convert to Jesus Christ,
then your mistakes would be understandable, but you do not portray
yourself as such.
I've studied the Bible, and the writings of people such as Ellen White,
Herbert Armstrong and his ilk, and I've found that they're wrong and the
Bible is right.
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
[...]
Touchy touchy. People get that way when they don't like truth. Tsk tsk.
Post by Robert
The word of God says let your yea's be yea and your no's be no. No
gray area. It is not a shame to correct ones self and admit error.
Itching ears etc.
Robert
2017-04-06 19:01:15 UTC
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
[...]
Yes, the average week and the Sabbath day is the last day.
Your mistake here is not calling the sixth day a day of preparation
for the sabbath, and your not mentioning that the 7th day was the
Sabbath day
Post by stephen
Preparation day was a synonym for Friday.
No, absolutely not, the Preparation day was the day before the
Sabbath. Regardless on which day of the week was a Sabbath day. (a day
of rest, no work)
Post by stephen
The Friday associated with the passover certainly wasn't a Thursday.
Not that year, not any year.
Shows only your lack of knowledge and you unwillingness to learn.
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
The feast of the passover is 7 days in length, the
first day is a Sabbath day and the last day is a Sabbath day.
No work is to be done on either Sabbath day which is why the day
before it is called a day of preparation. Even Herod knew that in
Jesus' time.
You're making that all up. Herod's knowledge of the names of the days
of the week is not in recorded history.
Thank you for acknowledging you lack of knowledge. Read Exodus 12:18
for starters.
Post by Robert
Now, if you are new to the bible, a recent convert to Jesus Christ,
then your mistakes would be understandable, but you do not portray
yourself as such.
I've studied the Bible, and the writings of people such as Ellen White,
Herbert Armstrong and his ilk, and I've found that they're wrong and the
Bible is right.
Then why don't you know the Bible? And why don't you believe it?
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
[...]
<splorf> poor cover up on your part. You call a lie the truth.
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
The word of God says let your yea's be yea and your no's be no. No
gray area. It is not a shame to correct ones self and admit error.
Itching ears etc.
Stop scratching them then. Read the truth. And you never answered the
question as to what makes you think you are a christian.
duke
2017-04-07 12:06:06 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
The feast of the passover is 7 days in length, the
first day is a Sabbath day and the last day is a Sabbath day.
No work is to be done on either Sabbath day which is why the day
before it is called a day of preparation. Even Herod knew that in
Jesus' time.
You're making that all up. Herod's knowledge of the names of the days
of the week is not in recorded history.
Thank you for acknowledging you lack of knowledge. Read Exodus 12:18
for starters.
ADrobert, he's waaaaaaaay ahead of you.
Post by Robert
Stop scratching them then. Read the truth. And you never answered the
question as to what makes you think you are a christian.
We all know that answer - baptism in the name of the Father, Son and Holy
Spirit.

*****
humban
2017-04-08 13:04:52 UTC
On Thu, 06 Apr 2017 12:01:15 -0700, Robert blew 195 lines to verify, he has
hot air & a need to let others know that.
snip
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
Totally incorrect.
Totally correct.
First day
Second day
Third day
Fourth day
Fifth day
Preparation day
Sabbath
Yes, the average week and the Sabbath day is the last day.
Which of course, is saturday, AKA saturn's day.
Post by Robert
Your mistake here is not calling the sixth day a day of preparation
for the sabbath, and your not mentioning that the 7th day was the
Sabbath day
& how is that different from any other friday. Unless it's passover of
course.
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Preparation day was a synonym for Friday.
No, absolutely not, the Preparation day was the day before the
Sabbath. Regardless on which day of the week was a Sabbath day. (a day
of rest, no work)
It is & was always saturday. Thank you for verifying your ignorance.
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
The Friday associated with the passover certainly wasn't a Thursday.
Not that year, not any year.
Shows only your lack of knowledge and you unwillingness to learn.
Bragging on yourself again. It could only be friday by religious custom
based on a lie.
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
The feast of the passover is 7 days in length, the
first day is a Sabbath day and the last day is a Sabbath day.
No work is to be done on either Sabbath day which is why the day
before it is called a day of preparation. Even Herod knew that in
Jesus' time.
You're making that all up. Herod's knowledge of the names of the days
of the week is not in recorded history.
Thank you for acknowledging you lack of knowledge. Read Exodus 12:18
for starters.
He said recorded history. Not mythology. Granted, there are those afraid
to read what history says, for it does not assume their faith is correct.
& your appeal to exodus verify's your lack of knowledge is deliberate.

snip
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
I've studied the Bible, and the writings of people such as Ellen White,
Herbert Armstrong and his ilk, and I've found that they're wrong and the
Bible is right.
Then why don't you know the Bible? And why don't you believe it?
Maybe he has a better understanding of that anthology than you do. Seems
like it.
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Touchy touchy. People get that way when they don't like truth. Tsk tsk.
<splorf> poor cover up on your part. You call a lie the truth.
When you claim the truth, observation frequently finds a lie. Like your
claim your missing messiah was your god's firstborn. Had you read isiah,
you would have known better.
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
The word of God says let your yea's be yea and your no's be no. No
gray area. It is not a shame to correct ones self and admit error.
Itching ears etc.
Stop scratching them then. Read the truth. And you never answered the
question as to what makes you think you are a christian.
Were you looking in a mirror just then? If not, you should try it.

broken promises to believers, in the greek text no les. Right, & here they
are for robert.
-- --

it will be done for you."
humban
2017-04-08 12:53:40 UTC
On Thu, 06 Apr 2017 10:05:09 -0700, Robert tried to pretend he was right, &
trashed the group with 132 lines in his failure.
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
No intelligent arguments from you there.
There was nothing to argue, you are a deceiver, a liar. It seems to be
a common trait for the RC's who post here. Feel free to show me wrong.
He doesn't have to, you do that all by yourself. Typical. Now, you try &
sound like you are ethically superior, when you have lied too & about
others. I halfway suspect it was due to your inability to see what is
written & not deliberate. But a lie all the same. You never did post the
message ID walksalone asked for. The one where you said he called you a
liar. In it, he said to someone, the hebrew text says they lied. & they
did, Israel is the firstborn of yahweh, if you believe in such fantasy.
Post by Robert
The word of God says let your yea's be yea and your no's be no. No
gray area. It is not a shame to correct ones self and admit error.
No, not really. A text claimed to be the word of god makes that claim. By
likely, an unknown author, or a forgery which is the same effect.

-- --

it will be done for you."
duke
2017-04-06 11:41:50 UTC
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
So at this point you don't seem to be doing so well with your stories.
Perhaps you can start over?
It's going just fine. I don't have to convince you. I convince and
help others.
AYUP!, Just like the other Catholics here who also lie, deceive, and
act all innocent.
AYUP. The only one here that's confused is ADrobert - always making macaque in
following his misinformed imagination.

*****
duke
2017-04-06 11:40:08 UTC
Post by stephen
Post by Robert
So at this point you don't seem to be doing so well with your stories.
Perhaps you can start over?
It's going just fine. I don't have to convince you. I convince and
help others.
ADrobert can't be convinced. He has none of the knowledge but acts like he has
it all.

*****
humban
2017-04-06 11:13:31 UTC
On Wed, 05 Apr 2017 12:12:41 -0700, Robert rtried for an air of superior
knowledge, & filed to show ir. Now ignorance, yes, he did display that. &
it only took 30 lines.
snip
Post by Robert
Post by stephen
Custom 2 – Jesus died on 14 Nisan at the time of the Passover lambs, so
some Christians celebrated Jesus’ death on 14 Nisan and his resurrection
on 16 Nisan, the third day. They too called it Pascha. Because it used
14 Nisan to find its date, it was called Quartodecimanism.
The 15th day of the month of Nisan is the beginning of Passover. Which
is 7 days observed. The first day is a day of no work, and so is the
7th Day a day of no work. Work can be done on any of the remaining
days.
Easy to claim, hard to verify. The requirements
A historical person.
Understanding the conversation.
Providing evidence for same.
Sorry robert, you have, as usual, failed.
I doubt you even know why that date range was chosen. Hint, it is common
to the theme of dying/resurrecting gods & goddess.
Post by Robert
John’s Gospel asserts Jesus was crucified on Nisan 14, the
preparation day of the Passover. As you were shown by another.
& it is authoritative out side followers why. The author is unknown, & I
doubt you even know why it was written, let alone included.
Post by Robert
So at this point you don't seem to be doing so well with your stories.
He's doing better than you. But then, so is the dog that died yesterday.
In a different continent.
Post by Robert
Perhaps you can start over?
Perhaps you can exit stage left? & ignore returning. With your ego,
that's unlikely.

** *