Chapter 95: Did Catholics change the Bible?
stephen
2016-12-04 07:29:03 UTC
Chapter 95: Did Catholics change the Bible?

Someone emailed me and wrote:

The Ten Commandments in Exodus 20 in the Torah match the Ten
Commandments in the KJV and all the protestant bibles. That in itself is
proof that the Catholic Church changed the Ten Commandments.

One needs to compare the 10 Commandments in the Torah and the KJV to the
Catholic Bible too. And when you do, what happens? The passages
containing the 10 Commandments are all right there, the same as in the
Jewish and Protestant Bibles.

That is proof that nothing has changed.

The difference is in numbering – and the Jews number them differently to
Protestants and Catholics, and most Protestants number them differently
from most Catholics … since the numbers are not assigned in the Bible,
that really doesn’t make a difference. The content is the same.

As the discussion went on, he raised the issues of the numbering of the
10 commandments, and the claim that the Catholic Church has changed the
10 Commandments.

Catholics and Protestants numbering the 10 commandments differently,
something I’ve discussed before. The point was raised that the Jews have
one commandment for coveting, and so the Protestant numbering system,
which does the same, must be right.

The Jews do indeed have one commandment for coveting – but, just like
Catholics, the Jews differ from Protestants in their first and second
commandments. The Jews combine verses 3-6 into one commandment, while
Protestants split them into two commandments (first and second). For the
Jews, verse 2 is a separate commandment, the first, and verses 3, 4 and
5 make up the 2nd commandment. For Catholics, like Jews, verses 3-6 are
one commandment, but the first.

Let’s look at the start of the 10 Commandments in Exodus, with the
Jewish, Protestant, and Catholic divisions explained:

Jewish numbering:

Exodus 20:1-6 – [1] And God spake all these words, saying,
First commandment: [2] I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee
out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Second commandment: [3] Thou shalt have no other gods before me. [4]
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any
thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that
is in the water under the earth: [5] Thou shalt not bow down thyself to
them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting
the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth
generation of them that hate me; [6] And shewing mercy unto thousands of
them that love me, and keep my commandments.
Third commandment continues with verse 7.

Protestant numbering:

Exodus 20:1-6 – [1] And God spake all these words, saying, [2] I am the
LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of
the house of bondage.
First commandment: [3] Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Second commandment: [4] Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image,
or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the
earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: [5] Thou shalt
not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am
a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children
unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; [6] And
shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
Third commandment continues with verse 7.

Catholic numbering:

Exodus 20:1-6 – [1] And God spake all these words, saying, [2] I am the
LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of
the house of bondage.
First commandment: [3] Thou shalt have no other gods before me. [4] Thou
shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing
that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in
the water under the earth: [5] Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them,
nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the
iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth
generation of them that hate me; [6] And shewing mercy unto thousands of
them that love me, and keep my commandments.
Second commandment continues with verse 7.

In Exodus, the commandments against coveting are joined in one, whereas
in Deuteronomy, they’re split between wife and possessions, as a
parallel to the commandments against adultery and stealing.

Let’s look at how the commandments on coveting finish off the counting:

Jewish numbering

Deut 5:21 –
Tenth commandment: Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbour’s wife,
neither shalt thou covet thy neighbour’s house, his field, or his
manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or any thing that is
thy neighbour’s.

Protestant numbering

Deut 5:21 –
Tenth commandment: Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbour’s wife,
neither shalt thou covet thy neighbour’s house, his field, or his
manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or any thing that is
thy neighbour’s.

Catholic numbering

Deut 5:21 (KJV) –
Ninth commandment: Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbour’s wife,
Tenth commandment: neither shalt thou covet thy neighbour’s house, his
field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or any
thing that is thy neighbour’s.

So we’ve really got 3 different ways to count the commandments, and
unless someone can show me where in the Bible (Jewish, Protestant, or
Catholic) the numbering is given, no one system of counting them is
superior to the others.

In fact, there is no “Catholic” numbering system and no “Protestant”
numbering system, because Catholics officially use both, and both are
used by different Protestant churches. Western Catholics and Lutherans,
for example, use the numbering commonly considered Catholic, while
Eastern Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, and most Protestants use the
numbering commonly considered Protestant.

Those who gripe about numbering are not basing their complaint on the
Bible, which doesn’t assign numbers, but rather they dislike one
numbering system amongst others based on it seeming to be Catholic.

Summarising the commandments
When Catholics draw up a summary of the 10 commandments, the first
commandment is usually abbreviated and cut to the first words – “Thou
shalt have no other gods before me.” Some people use this to accuse the
Catholic Church of simply snipping out Exodus 3:6 and Deut 8-10.

They are not able to (or don’t want to) differentiate between the 10
commandments themselves and a summarised list to make them easy to
remember. This seems to be because of an anti-Catholic bias they have.
The full 10 commandments are found, in full, in the Catholic Bible and
in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. What they seem to think is the
Catholic 10 commandments is simply an abbreviation intended to allow
easy memorisation of them.

Take a look at Protestant lists designed to make memorisation of the
commandments easier. They generally say “Thou shalt not covet” instead
of citing the entire Exodus 20:17 or Deut 5:21. They generally say “Keep
the Sabbath day holy” instead of citing the entire Exodus 20:8-11 or
Deut 5:12-15.

Ironically, Adventists themselves have got abbreviated versions that are
a) easy to memorise, and b) easy to fit onto images of stone tablets,
and they frequently make these same claims, accusing us of changing the
10 commandments, when they can really only accuse us of having a
convenient summary of them, just as they do.

Ángel Manuel Rodríguez of the Adventist church’s Biblical Research
Institute has the following to say in an article, Counting Commandments:

In conclusion, it really doesn’t matter how we count the commandments as
long as we do not modify in any way their sacred content.
--
blog: http://blog.theotokos.co.za/
ebook: https://www.facebook.com/DiscussingAdventismBook/
duke
2016-12-04 14:22:45 UTC
Post by stephen
Chapter 95: Did Catholics change the Bible?
The Ten Commandments in Exodus 20 in the Torah match the Ten
Commandments in the KJV and all the protestant bibles. That in itself is
proof that the Catholic Church changed the Ten Commandments.
One needs to compare the 10 Commandments in the Torah and the KJV to the
Catholic Bible too. And when you do, what happens? The passages
containing the 10 Commandments are all right there, the same as in the
Jewish and Protestant Bibles.
That is proof that nothing has changed.
The difference is in numbering – and the Jews number them differently to
Protestants and Catholics, and most Protestants number them differently
from most Catholics … since the numbers are not assigned in the Bible,
that really doesn’t make a difference. The content is the same.
Very good.

the dukester, American-American

*****
Pope Paul VI
*****
Robert
2016-12-04 19:11:44 UTC
Ángel Manuel Rodríguez of the Adventist church’s Biblical Research
In conclusion, it really doesn’t matter how we count the commandments as
long as we do not modify in any way their sacred content.
ROTFL!

Did you really think that the bible was written with numbered verses?

As regarding the commandments, why not list all the rest of them as
well? They were ALL part of the same Covenant.

IOW's eating a cheeseburger breaks the law, and if one breaks the law,
any law, they are guilty of breaking them all.

Those under the law are not under grace.
ea
2016-12-04 21:01:44 UTC
On Sun, 04 Dec 2016 11:11:44 -0800, Robert wrote: Snip, no value.

Are you going to answer walksalone's question. You know, this one.

Now, where is that message ID where you claim I called you a liar?

"Aristotle was once asked what those who tell lies gain by it. Said he,
"That when they speak truth they are not believed."
duke
2016-12-06 13:42:34 UTC
Post by Robert
Ángel Manuel Rodríguez of the Adventist church’s Biblical Research
In conclusion, it really doesn’t matter how we count the commandments as
long as we do not modify in any way their sacred content.
ROTFL!
Did you really think that the bible was written with numbered verses?
As regarding the commandments, why not list all the rest of them as
well? They were ALL part of the same Covenant.
There are only 10 from God. Jesus gave us the two new ways to follow them.
Post by Robert
IOW's eating a cheeseburger breaks the law, and if one breaks the law,
any law, they are guilty of breaking them all.
Those under the law are not under grace.
If you don't follow the 10 commandments as Jesus said, you are not under grace.

tesla sTinker
2016-12-04 20:43:07 UTC
We shall try to help. First, what you believe is the Catholic Church,
is no longer the Catholic Church.

Second, if it is different than this link, it has been changed.
http://www.truecarpentry.org/tccwww/cathwww/dogma/catholicbooks/douayrheims/TenCommandments1609.htm