The moral and cerimonial laws
Stephen Korsman
2006-07-19 18:48:36 UTC
This subject surfaced in a discussion in this board, so I decided to
make some research about it. Here's my findings.
THE MORAL AND CERIMONIAL LAWS
(Some Bible references I'm giving the portuguese name, as I dunno the
english translation. Sorry for any incovenience. Any questions,
forward them to me).
1. What title of distinction is given to God's Law?
S. Tiago 2:8, 9
2. By what comes the aknowledgment of sin?
Rom. 7:7 (And also notice that the example law given there is from the
10 commandments)
3. By what reason shall Men finally be judged?
Eclesiastes 12:13, 14; S. Tiago 2:12
The law that is here called the 'law of liberty' is the one that says
"You shall not kill" and "You shall not commit adultery" because those
were the commandments quoted in the previous verse. That same law is
called (v. 8) 'Lei RĂ©gia' [something like kingly law or regia law in
english], that is, the king's law. That is the one by wich man shall
be judged.
4. What system was established in virtue to the transgression of the
God's Law by Men?
The sacrifice system, with its rituals and cerimonies, pointing Jesus.
5. Why did Job offered holocausts?
Job 1:4-5
6. Since when was that sacrifice system known?
Heb. 11:4 See also Gen. 4:3-5; 8:20; Job 1:4-5
7. By whom was proclaimed the law of the 10 commandments?
Deut. 4:12-13 (By God)
8. How was the cerimonial law transmited to Israel?
Lev. 1:1-2, 7:37-38
9. Were the 10 commandments, by themselves, a distinct and complete
law?
Deut. 5:22; Ex. 24:12 (Yes, they were)
10. Was the cerimonial law complete in it self?
Ef. 2:15 (No, they were given in ordinances)
11. In what did God wrote the 10 commandments?
Deut. 4:13 (stone = eternity, stability)
12. In what was written the laws or commandments refering to
sacrifices and holocausts?
II Chron. 35:12
13. Where were placed the 10 commandments?
Ex. 40:20 (Inside the alliance ark)
14. Where did Moses ordered the levites to place the book of the law
that he wrote?
Deut. 31:25-26 (outside, at its side)
15. What is the moral law's nature?
Psalms 19:7; Rom 7:14 (perfect, spiritual, .)
16. Could the offers ordained by the cerimonial law satisfy or make
perfect the believer's consience?
Heb.9:9 (No, it can't)
17. Until when the cerimonial law imposed that the service should be
realized in the earth sanctuary?
Heb. 9:10
18. When was that reformation time?
Heb. 9:11-12 (Christ)
19. What effect in the cerimonial law did Christ's death have?
Col. 2:14; Ef. 2:15 (Canceled, abolished)
20. Why was the cerimonial law abolished?
Heb. 7:18-19
21. What miracle ocurred in the occasion of Christ's death, signifying
that the sacrifice system was finished forever?
S. Mat. 27:50-51
22. In what words did Daniel prophetized this?
Dan. 9:27
23. For how much time the moral law will last?
Psalms 119:152; 111:7-8 (FOREVER)
Yet the 10 commandments are part of the Law of Moses. They were part of the
Old Covenant. How can they be part of the Old Covenant, yet remain in
effect as a legal code when the Old Covenant is no longer in effect?

Exo 34:28 KJV And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights;
he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the
words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

Furthermore, what law was written on tablets of stone? And why does 2 Cor 3
say that it has been replaced with a law of greater glory?

2 Corinthians 3:3-14 KJV
(3) Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ
ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living
God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
(4) And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
(5) Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of
ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
(6) Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the
letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth
life.
(7) But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was
glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the
face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done
away:
(8) How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
(9) For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the
ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
(10) For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by
reason of the glory that excelleth.
(11) For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which
remaineth is glorious.
(12) Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:
(13) And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of
Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:
(14) But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same
vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done
away in Christ.

"But it's not just the ceremonial laws that were set aside. 2 Cor 3:7-14
says it was the laws written on stone, the Ten Commandments, that were also
part of the Old Covenant. Romans 7:7-8 specifically says that the Ninth and
Tenth Commandments were the very laws that condemned Paul in sin, from which
he needed to be released. Gal 3:10-12 says that if you put yourself under
the law of the Old Covenant, they you are required to obey all its provision
without fault, otherwise the Law will condemn you. It is the whole Law, as
an active covenant, that is set aside, because as a legal entity the Law's
first action was to condemn men in sin. The Catechism says as much (Para
1963, 780, 580). The legal status of the Law had to be removed so that it
would not condemn us in sin, but its ethical provisions, that is, the "good
and holy" laws is contained, were then transferred to the New Covenant and
made even better than they were before." -
http://www.catholicintl.com/epologetics/dialogs/pastoral/ccc-heresy3.htm

"The OT Scriptures are "profitable" because they continue to give us ethical
principles to live by. For example, in 1 Cor 9:9 Paul quotes from Deut 25:4:
"Thou shalt not muzzle the ox." Even though Paul in other places says that
the Old Covenant is "a ministry of death engraved on stone tablets" (2 Cor
3:7), he can still extract ethical principles from the Old Covenant, and he
can do so because those ethical principles are based on God's eternal laws.
By the same token, Paul assures us that the Old Covenant, as a LEGAL entity
that enforce those laws, has been abrogated. If it was still in force, then
it would be a "ministry of death," because it is the Old Covenant law which
condemned people in sin. The problem in Paul's day was that the Jews wanted
to keep the Old Covenant as their legal covenant. That is why Paul warned
them that, if they did, they would then have to come under the legal
condemnation of the Old Covenant (Gal 3:10; 5:1-4). There are two sides to
this coin: (1) the Old Covenant still gives us ethical principles, and (2)
the Old Covenant, from a legal perspective, has been abrogated. The teaching
and enforcing of its ethical principles are carried out only in the New
Covenant today." - http://www.catholicintl.com/qa/answer_critics.htm

See http://www.bible.ca/7-2laws.htm - it shows that the 2-law distinction of
Adventism is not biblical. Adventism differentiates between statutes /
judgements on the one hand, calling the ceremonial law, and commandments on
the other hand, calling them moral law.

Yet no such distinction exists in the Bible.

This comes from preconceived notions about the law, thinking it is divided
up into commandments and ordinanances etc. Yet the 10 commandments are also
called ordinances, and the Mosaic law is referred to as commandments.

Lev 27:34 KJV These are the commandments, which the LORD commanded Moses
for the children of Israel in mount Sinai.

This refers to the law of Moses.

Deu 5:1 KJV And Moses called all Israel, and said unto them, Hear, O
Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your ears this day, that
ye may learn them, and keep, and do them.

This is right before the 10 Commandments.

Eze 20:18-21 KJV But I said unto their children in the wilderness, Walk ye
not in the statutes of your fathers, neither observe their judgments, nor
defile yourselves with their idols: (19) I am the LORD your God; walk in
my statutes, and keep my judgments, and do them; (20) And hallow my
sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that
I am the LORD your God. (21) Notwithstanding the children rebelled against
me: they walked not in my statutes, neither kept my judgments to do them,
which if a man do, he shall even live in them; they polluted my sabbaths:
then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them, to accomplish my anger
against them in the wilderness.

The Sabbath is an ordinance?

Lev 19:37 KJV Therefore shall ye observe all my statutes, and all my
judgments, and do them: I am the LORD.

Includes commands from the 10 Commandments AND the rest, lumping them all
together into statutes and judgements.

Deu 6:24-25 KJV And the LORD commanded us to do all these statutes, to fear
the LORD our God, for our good always, that he might preserve us alive, as
it is at this day. (25) And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe
to do all these commandments before the LORD our God, as he hath commanded
us.

"These commandments" are "these statutes" and God commanded them.

God bless,
Stephen
--
Stephen Korsman
website: http://www.theotokos.co.za/adventism/

IC | XC
---------
NI | KA

add an s before .co.za
Stephen Korsman
2006-07-23 20:32:31 UTC
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 20:48:36 +0200, "Stephen Korsman"
Post by Stephen Korsman
[...]
I think there's a misunderstanding here. Sure our salvation is through
Christ, not through the law. BUt that doesn't mean the law is no more.
It is said that without law there's no sin. So there is no sin in the
world today, right?
There is sin, yes. But we are not bound to the law mentioned in those
verses - the one written on tablets of stone. There is a greater law than
even that. Verse 7 says the glory of that law was done away.
I think the point in this text is that we don't "win" salvation
through works, through the law. It's only through Christ. I can't
follow the law as if it were a recipe for salvation. That would be
legalism. And that was what the jews did before Christ (and many still
do, not recognizing Christ as the Messiah).
The law is just a standard from which we could measure how far from
God we are. We are not saved through our works, but our salvation
produces the works. Without law, we would be just clueless about all
that.
Post by Stephen Korsman
[...]
Almost completely agree with this. Paul said that Abraham was declared
"just" before the law existed, so knowing the law should not be the
base for a relationship with God.
The reasons I originally quoted that was because Andrew and I. B. Wonderin
didn't believe it was Catholic teaching. It comes from a longer post with
more.
But that doesn't mean the law was abrogated.
The arguments stated above don't, no. That was to show that Catholicism
believes the law was abrogated, not to prove it from the Bible.
our flesh dies because of the sins (and sins only exist while there is
law), but our spiritual side can be sinless, while after Jesus Christ
and the Holy Spirit. (See Romans 8:3-11). It means we are too weak to
keep the law, but if we become spiritual people, having faith in Jesus
and following Him, we can be saved, because it's not our sinful flesh
that will be judged, but our spirits in Christ. (But that also implies
that anyone who hasn't faith in Christ won't be saved).
Post by Stephen Korsman
[...]
The Ten Commandments were written by God Himslef, then, after all
that, God told Moses other commandments and ordinances to be writen by
Moses and told to the people (Deut. 5:30-31)
An even greater law has been written by God himself - on our hearts.

The common Adventist argument is that "commandments" refers to the 10
Commandments, while "ordinances" and "statutes" refers to the other laws
that Adventism accepts are abrogated. But that is an artificial distinction
that the Bible doesn't support. See http://www.bible.ca/7-2laws.htm.
Post by Stephen Korsman
Eze 20:18-21 KJV But I said unto their children in the wilderness, Walk ye
not in the statutes of your fathers, neither observe their judgments, nor
defile yourselves with their idols: (19) I am the LORD your God; walk in
my statutes, and keep my judgments, and do them; (20) And hallow my
sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that
I am the LORD your God. (21) Notwithstanding the children rebelled against
me: they walked not in my statutes, neither kept my judgments to do them,
then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them, to accomplish my anger
against them in the wilderness.
The Sabbath is an ordinance?
It's part of the called "moral law",
That is the distinction - moral vs ceremonial. There is nothing remotely
moral about the keeping of a certain day.

The Bible teaches that the Old Covenant with its law has been abrogated. We
are still required to love our neighbour, not steal, not murder, etc. But
the entire law is lumped together by the Bible - not separated into moral
law and other law. It's all abrogated, and replaced with a new law.
the 10 commandments, also
summarized by Jesus as something like: love God above anything else,
and your neighbour as yourself (or something). Yes, it seems the first
3 commandments and the last 6 suit perfectly Jesus commandment, and
that Sabbath seems to be an "odd" comandment in there, but then, it
makes perfect sense, if we see that Sabbath is all about our relation
with God and the others.
Exactly the same can be said or circumcision. The only difference is where
it was written. Where it was written doesn't make it a moral law. And
where it was written is untimately irrelevant - the 10 Commandments were the
Old Covenant, according to the Bible, and the Old Covenant has been
replaced.
Post by Stephen Korsman
Lev 19:37 KJV Therefore shall ye observe all my statutes, and all my
judgments, and do them: I am the LORD.
Includes commands from the 10 Commandments AND the rest, lumping them all
together into statutes and judgements.
So? HE said that those people should observe all His statutes,
judgements and do them. And the people in that time had to do that for
both kind of laws. Today we have not, because only the called "moral
laws" are still in effect.
See http://www.bible.ca/7-2laws.htm - there is no such distinction in the
Bible. One law, one covenant, and they have passed away.
Post by Stephen Korsman
Deu 6:24-25 KJV And the LORD commanded us to do all these statutes, to fear
the LORD our God, for our good always, that he might preserve us alive, as
it is at this day. (25) And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe
to do all these commandments before the LORD our God, as he hath commanded
us.
"These commandments" are "these statutes" and God commanded them.
Sure, as I said above. Plus, until Jesus, the cerimonial laws were the
only way to "clean" our sins and be saved. Even in Eden a lamb was
sacrificed to cleanse their sins. It was a profecy about Jesus role in
the future. The whole cerimonial laws were. Jesus came and fulfilled
His role, so the ceimonial laws ceased to have meaning.
And exactly the same can be said of the Sabbath. We have found our rest in
Christ, and no longer need something that pointed towards that rest.

Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect
of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

(Heb 4:1) Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering
into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
(Heb 4:2) For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the
word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that
heard it.
(Heb 4:3) For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I
have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works
were finished from the foundation of the world.
(Heb 4:4) For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise,
And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
(Heb 4:5) And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
(Heb 4:6) Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and
they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
(Heb 4:7) Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, Today, after so
long a time; as it is said, Today if ye will hear his voice, harden not your
hearts.
(Heb 4:8) For if Joshua had given them rest, then would he not afterward
have spoken of another day.
(Heb 4:9) There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
(Heb 4:10) For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from
his own works, as God did from his.
(Heb 4:11) Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall
after the same example of unbelief.

Hebrews compares the Old Covenant priesthood with the New Covenant
priesthood; the Passover Lamb with the Lamb of God; the Sabbath with our
rest in Christ. The former were merely shadows of the latter.

God bless,
Stephen

add an s before .co.za
Stephen Korsman
2006-07-23 21:44:40 UTC
Post by Stephen Korsman
he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the
words of the covenant, the ten commandments.
I recall reading something that compared the Ten Commandments to an
employment contract of the same period. Its basically boilerplate. But,
who
is making the covenant? God and the Jews.
(Exod 31:13) Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my
sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your
generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

(Exod 31:17a) It is a sign between me and the children of Israel forever

(Deut 5:3) The LORD made not this covenant with our fathers, but with us,
even us, who are all of us here alive this day.

(Neh 9:14) And madest known unto them thy holy sabbath, and commandedst them
precepts, statutes, and laws, by the hand of Moses thy servant

(Ezek 20:10) Wherefore I caused them to go out of the land of Egypt, and
brought them into the wilderness.
(Ezek 20:11) And I gave them my statutes, and showed them my judgments,
which if a man do, he shall even live in them.
(Ezek 20:12) Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me
and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them
As Christians we are not under
that contract.
(Col 2:16) Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in
respect of a holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
(Col 2:17) Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

(Rom 14:5) One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every
day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
(Rom 14:6a) He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he
that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it.

God bless,
Stephen

add an s before .co.za
Gene Palmiter
2006-07-23 22:45:52 UTC
You found an answer to my questions in those cites? I didn't. They seem to
support my contention that the rules and laws in the Bible are for the
Jews....not for anybody else.
--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter
add an s before .co.za
Stephen Korsman
2006-07-23 23:23:33 UTC
Post by Gene Palmiter
You found an answer to my questions in those cites? I didn't. They seem to
support my contention that the rules and laws in the Bible are for the
Jews....not for anybody else.
Yip, exactly.

God bless,
Stephen