The weekly Sabbath - sunset to sunset
Stephen Korsman
2006-07-13 05:14:48 UTC
Hi

Does this refer to the weekly Sabbath?

Lev 23:32 KJV It shall be unto you a sabbath of rest, and ye shall afflict
your souls: in the ninth day of the month at even, from even unto even,
shall ye celebrate your sabbath.

Adventism says yes -
http://www.amazingfacts.org/items/Read_Media.asp?ID=652 - "This explains why
the Sabbath is described in these words, "It shall be unto you a sabbath of
rest, ... from even unto even, shall ye celebrate your sabbath." Leviticus
23:32."

Lev 23:27-32 says it refers to the day beginning at the end of the 9th day
of the 7th month. Notice the convenient deletion in the above quote from
Amazing Facts.

God bless,
Stephen
--
Stephen Korsman
website: http://www.theotokos.co.za/adventism/

IC | XC
---------
NI | KA

add an s before .co.za
Stephen Korsman
2006-07-13 14:49:46 UTC
Post by Stephen Korsman
Does this refer to the weekly Sabbath?
Lev 23:32 KJV It shall be unto you a sabbath of rest, and ye shall afflict
your souls: in the ninth day of the month at even, from even unto even,
shall ye celebrate your sabbath.
Adventism says yes -
http://www.amazingfacts.org/items/Read_Media.asp?ID=652 - "This explains why
the Sabbath is described in these words, "It shall be unto you a sabbath of
rest, ... from even unto even, shall ye celebrate your sabbath." Leviticus
23:32."
Lev 23:27-32 says it refers to the day beginning at the end of the 9th day
of the 7th month. Notice the convenient deletion in the above quote from
Amazing Facts.
Leviticus 23:32 refers to Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, the most
solemn day in all of Israel's history. For Israel it was a Sabbath. For
us Christians today it is not a Sabbath, because Jesus is to fulfil
everything connected with the Day of Atonement.
For me it is a great pity that our Roman Catholic friend has such a
hatred for the true Sabbath that he reads this huge tract by Pastor
Doug Batchelor and comes up with such a small point to criticise him.
No, just a point. It's not the only one - I was just using it as an example
of how Adventists make things up as they go along. That the Adventists read
their theology into texts and remove their true context is a common thing -
and needs pointing out so that people don't get misled.

I have no hatred for the Sabbath. I just don't keep it. There is no reason
to. Jesus fulfilled everything connected with that too. My problem is with
Adventists who have a hatred for Sunday, and spend their time telling lies
about it and us in order to make people believe their theories. Adventism
without anti-Catholicism would not remain as it is today. You're seeing
hatred where none exists, and failing to see it where it does.

God bless,
Stephen

add an s before .co.za
Stephen Korsman
2006-07-13 21:05:59 UTC
WE KNOW THAT SATURDAY IS THE SABBATH. BUT IF YOU WALK IN THE LOVE OF
JESUS,
ANY DAY CAN BE THE SABBATH, AS LONG AS YOU REST. THE LAW HAS BEEN
FULLFILLED.
That is true. Catholics and Protestants will agree with that principle - as
a whole, Christianity has chosen Sunday to observe as a holy day because of
the significance of Jesus' resurrection on that day. Adventists will try to
tell you otherwise, quoting the Bible out of context when they do so.
BOTTOM LINE--WE NEED TO LOVE EACH OTHER TO THE CROSS AND WITNESS TO LOST
SOULS.
Agreed. Defending the truth against those who attack it is also important.

God bless,
Stephen

add an s before .co.za
Stephen Korsman
2006-07-14 17:44:39 UTC
Post by Stephen Korsman
[...]
Please take note on the following comments from Reverend John A.
... the Bible does not contain all the teachings of the Christian
religion, nor does it: formulate all the duties of its members. Take,
for example, the matter of Sunday observance, the attendance at divine
services and the abstention from unnecessary servile work on that day,
a matter upon which our Protestant neighbors have for many years laid
great emphasis. Let me address myself in a friendly spirit to my dear
Protestant reader: You believe that the Bible alone is a safe guide in
religious matters. You also believe that one of the fundamental duties
enjoined upon you by your Christian faith is that of Sunday observance.
But where does the Bible speak of such an obligation? I have read the
Bible from the first verse of Genesis to the last verse of Revelations,
and have found no reference to the duty of sanctifying the Sunday. The
day mentioned in the Bible is not the Sunday, the first day of the
week, but the Saturday, the last day of the week. It was the Apostolic
Church which, acting by virtue of that authority conferred upon her by
Christ, changed the observance to the Sunday in honor of the day on
which Christ rose from the dead, and to signify that now we are no
longer under the Old Law of the Jews, but under the New Law of Christ.
In observing the Sunday as you do, is it not apparent that you are
really acknowledging the insufficiency of the Bible alone as a rule of
faith and religious conduct, and proclaiming the need of a divinely
established teaching authority which in theory you deny?
Source: The Faith of Millions, by the Reverend John A. O'Brien, PH.
D., 4th Edition, copyright 1938, published by Our Sunday Visitor,
Huntington, Ind., page 147.
Sunday observance can be seen in the Bible. It is not explicitly mentioned,
but there is sufficient evidence to show that it existed. This text is good
in that it points out that the Catholic Church believes that the Apostles
began the custom.

And yes, the Bible alone never was the sole source of Christian truth. Just
because the Bible doesn't tell us to keep Sunday holy, doesn't mean we can't
do it in honour of Christ's resurrection.

God bless,
Stephen

add an s before .co.za
Stephen Korsman
2006-07-16 17:19:25 UTC
Post by Stephen Korsman
a whole, Christianity has chosen Sunday to observe as a holy day
because
Post by Stephen Korsman
of
Post by Stephen Korsman
SOULS.
Agreed. Defending the truth against those who attack it is also
important.
Post by Stephen Korsman
God bless,
Stephen
--
Post by Stephen Korsman
because the Bible doesn't tell us to keep Sunday holy, doesn't mean we can't
do it in honour of Christ's resurrection.
God bless,
Stephen
I like to think like this: if there is any doubt about what is right,
then do as Jesus did and/or teached us to.
In this case, Jesus kept the Sabbath on Saturdays, as far as I know. I
didn't read anywhere in the scriptures entitling anyone, except God
Himself, to change the Law.
A lot of laws are no longer kept. Circumcision, for one. The Mosaic Law is
no longer necessary for Christians, and that includes the Sabbath. (The 10
Commandments fall under the Mosaic Law, as the Bible says. While they are a
summary of the moral principles that remain part of the New Law of love, as
a legal code they are no longer a binding entity. Both the Bible and
Catholicism teach this, contrary to the claims of Andrew.)
So, I prefer to play safe and respect the
Sabbath/Saturday, than observe Sunday just because someone said that
anyday is good as saturday.
Sure, we must undestand the principles and values behind the laws, or
we would be just like the pharisees. Is it true that the only point in
the Sabbath is set apart a day to rest and worship God, or is it
important that that day should be a specific one?
The Sabbath was replaced by our rest in Christ. Col 2:16 lists the Sabbath,
along with the annual and monthly observances, as a shadow of Christ. Today
we celebrate the resurrection of Christ, in whom we find that rest.
But then, my first principle applies: Jesus observed the Sabbath on
Saturdays. Never read about Jesus resting on wednesdays, thursadys,
sundays or whatever. In 33 years of life, that should mean something,
or not?
Jesus was circumcised as well. What does that mean?

What is more interesting is the fact that not once in the entire Bible are
Christians shown to be observing the Sabbath after the resurrection of
Christ, and not once are they commanded to keep the Sabbath. The references
to Christians going somewhere on the Sabbath are all instances of attending
Jewish services, which proves nothing, since non-Christian non-Jewish
Gentiles did the same, simply because it was a good place for discussion.
You can't read Sabbath observance into that, unless you're willing to do the
same for any gathering on any day. The only commentary we get about keeping
the Sabbath is to tell us it's a shadow, and whether or not we keep a
specific day, we serve God by doing so.

God bless,
Stephen

add an s before .co.za
Stephen Korsman
2006-07-18 15:22:53 UTC
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:19:25 +0200, "Stephen Korsman"
Post by Stephen Korsman
A lot of laws are no longer kept. Circumcision, for one. The Mosaic Law is
no longer necessary for Christians, and that includes the Sabbath. (The 10
Commandments fall under the Mosaic Law, as the Bible says. While they are a
summary of the moral principles that remain part of the New Law of love, as
a legal code they are no longer a binding entity. Both the Bible and
Catholicism teach this, contrary to the claims of Andrew.)
Aren't the Ten Commandments apart from the Mosaic Laws? (Or cerimonial
laws, I don't remember the right term, maybe I'm confusing it).
No, that's what the Adventists teach. The 10 Commandments are part of the
Mosaic Law, and the ceremonial laws are part of the Mosaic Law, and the
other commandments on morality are part of the Mosaic Law, and so are the
civil laws.
The Ten Commandments were written directly by God in stone, and the
two tablets were kept inside the Holy Ark (or Alliance Ark, or
whatever is called, excuse me my memory failure), and the laws Moses
has written outside the ark? Also, aren't the Ten Commandments always
true? God doesn't change. It wil always be wrong and sinful to murder
someone, for example.
The principles behind them are eternal. The legal code they belong to is
not. The Old Testament explicitly states that the 10 Commandments are part
of the Old Covenant. Today we live under the New Covenant. We still live
morally, but under a new law.

Andrew refused to discuss the biblical aspects of this issue, and instead
claimed that I don't know what Catholicism teaches, and am contradicting it.
Since I've provided evidence that I'm not, he has avoided the topic
altogether. It has become a tiresome topic.
Sure, there are laws that ceased to have effect: God didn't change,
but made them with a purpose that could prescribe. For example: we
don't sacrifice lambs and goats anymore. And we don't have to, because
Jesus was the last lamb, the one that saves us all. When He died,
certain unnatural events happened, that shown that these cerimonial
the Messiah profecy.
But exactly the same is true of the Sabbath, according to the Bible. Col
2:16 explicitly states that the weekly Sabbath is a shadow of Christ.
Post by Stephen Korsman
[...]
You see, I don't want to risk this: S. Mat. 15:9.
So Col 2:16 falls under that definition, and should be taken with a pinch of
salt?
And I believe I should do this: I S. John 2:6, I S. Peter 2:21.
If we take into account the following: S. John 15:10, I S. John 5:3.
I can only conclude that we should still keep His commandments. One of
His commandments is about the Sabbath. And His example was following
the Sabbath.
His example was also keeping Passover, and being circumcised. Are we to
follow those as well? We are to walk as he walked - morally, not according
to the Old Covenant.
If we don't see clear mentions to resting in Sabbath (besides
religious cerimonies), isn't intriguing to me: how many times should
they repeat the Sabbath commandment?
What is intriguing is that they never command it even once, never mind
repeat it. In fact, three times Paul tells us it's unnecessary.
And I think that Jesus' words in those verses were, are nd will be
always true.
Jesus' words are true ... but that doesn't apply to all interpretations of
them.

God bless,
Stephen