Christian Halloween
stephen
2016-10-30 14:31:17 UTC
Chapter 88: Christian Halloween

No, Halloween is NOT a pagan holiday adopted by Catholics and passed on
to Protestants. That’s a myth perpetuated by anti-Catholics and those
who, contrary to the Bible, fear what has been offered to pagan gods.

It began as a Christian celebration of all the saints of the Church who
didn’t have their own feast days.

In the 300s AD, Christians honoured those martyred by the Roman Emperors
on 13 May, or the Friday after Easter, or the first Sunday after Pentecost.

When Pope Boniface IV rededicated the pagan Pantheon (the building) to
St Mary and All the Martyrs in 609 AD, he probably did so on that date
because that is when a large portion of Christians honoured the martyrs.

In the 8th century, Pope Gregory III established 1 November as a day of
honouring martyrs in Rome when he dedicated the All Saints Chapel in St
Peter’s Basilica in Rome.

Later the Roman date became universal, under Pope Gregory IV, and came
to include saints who were not martyrs. And then a 2nd day was added for
those not explicitly named as saints – All Souls Day.

Like all the important feasts of the Church, the celebration of the
feast began the night before. Easter – we have the Easter Vigil.
Christmas, we have the Christmas Vigil, before Midnight Mass. We have
the Vigil of the Assumption, the Vigil of Saints Simon and Jude, etc.
The Anglicans, Lutherans, and Methodists also have vigil services.

So, All Saints on 1 November makes the vigil in the evening of 31
October. And already, by connecting historical facts, we find 31 October
as a vigil for All Saints without having to resort to the common
misconception that it was a pagan celebration that Christians took over.

Halloween = hallow + evening. Hallow = holy, cf. saints. The vigil of
All Saints became, in English, Halloween.

Dressing up? This came from a French custom unrelated to Halloween, but
linked to All Souls Day. Eventually it was linked to Halloween in the
1700s in North America, when French culture and Irish culture mixed. The
Irish, but not the French, celebrated Halloween. So add the French
dressing up for 2 November, with the Irish celebrating their vigil on 31
October, and you get an American custom of dressing up for Halloween. In
South Africa, where we have 11 official languages, we’d call it a
“rainbow” custom, a fusion of aspects of two cultures. Religious in
origin, mostly secular in practice these days.

And so, like Adventism, Jehovah’s Witnessism, and Mormonism, the
American custom spread to the rest of the world. While Adventism,
Jehovah’s Witnessism, and Mormonism might be belief systems contrary to
the Bible and foreign to the original Christians, Halloween today is a
harmless practice that has a combination of Catholic and American origins.

And if you don’t believe that? Then turn to the Bible.

1 Corinthians 10:25 – Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat,
asking no question for conscience sake.

When people came asking if they could, in good conscience, eat meat that
may have been sacrificed to false gods, Paul said Yes. Christians are
free to do so. Some Christians, whom Paul calls weak (cf. Romans 14),
think they need to avoid meat and eat only vegetables, and they think
they need to keep the sabbath. Paul says we should tolerate their
weakness with love, and not be the source of their sin. But Paul says
there is nothing that is unclean of itself.

The same principle that Paul applied to the sabbath and to food can be
applied to Halloween. Keep the good, omit the bad.

So, in reality, Halloween is a safe and fun secular practice with
Christian origins. If you don’t believe that, or dislike the type of
Christian faith it originated in, follow Paul’s advice. If you don’t
feel you can go that far yet, don’t complain about those who have a
stronger faith.

And enjoy the sweets.

Respice post te! Hominem te esse memento! Memento mori!
--
blog: http://blog.theotokos.co.za/
ebook: https://www.facebook.com/DiscussingAdventismBook/
Anshar
2016-10-30 15:56:34 UTC
stephen <***@poo.com> wrote in news:***@nnrpd01.nextgennews.net:

6 cross posts, 82 lines. Appropriate mail address. Be a whole lot of
snipping going on.
Post by stephen
Chapter 88: Christian Halloween
No, Halloween is NOT a pagan holiday adopted by Catholics and passed
on to Protestants. That’s a myth perpetuated by anti-Catholics and
those who, contrary to the Bible, fear what has been offered to pagan
gods.
True, but misleading.
Post by stephen
It began as a Christian celebration of all the saints of the Church
who didn’t have their own feast days.
Your source is in error. It started as a feast to the dead with it's main
purpose ion life. You see, the Celts didn't have a xian hell, but did have
the other side. The barrier was thin enough, that on the equinox the dead
could mix with the living. To prevent mischief, offerings were left out
all over the place. Trick or treat as you know it is an xian invention.
Care to guess why?

snip, the smell was getting strong.
tesla sTinker
2016-10-30 19:44:37 UTC
It is a pagan holiday, to anyone that exercises it, and is mortal sin
for any true Catholic to have or take part in it. It is not, the All
Saints Day, but it happens on that day because of witchcraft. That is
typical of pagans using Christian days, to destroy the true Church. And
the reason why they have done so. But then again, it is so written, So
be it. In God's Holy Bible. There is nothing, God did not tell you
about that has already happened and been forewarned to you about in this
world of the ways they do things. It is typical of a witch to change
what is written. That is why, a protestant bible is called and labeled
such. Specific to name....

Saint Paul did not tell you to go around and tell others to give me
food, or I trick you.... Nor will we true Catholics let you Novus Ordo
hell bound fake catholics delcare such. As if it is alright. ?

God had already told you
in His Ultimatum of One of His Law Precepts, that He would remove the
Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, if you did not comply with it. Well, you
did not comply with it, evil doers, and it is removed of. Fatima and My
Blessed Holy Mother Maria had forewarned to you that you that you would
indulge yourselves in communism, if you did not turn your heart and soul
over to her and of her wishes including praying the Holy Rosary every
day for lost souls. Novus Ordo Catholics have no sacraments, just the
gift of the devils altar to give to you, from Satan himself, eternal
hell. Better known as evil freemasonry. Or even Stephen that wrote
this below.... obviously a pagan.
--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ***@netfront.net ---